Saturday, October 23, 2010

Little Thumb Sucker

Well, I think it is official...Jack Griffin is a thumb sucker.  Every time he gets a chance (and can find his thumb), it's in his mouth.  I was looking through pictures of the day Jack was born, and I realized that he has been a thumb sucker since day one.  See the picture below of his thumb sucking at the hospital.  Tummy time has turned into "find my thumb so I can suck it" time.  Jack was laying on his Baby Einstein play mat the other day and I was in the kitchen doing the dishes.  I could hear him cooing and making noises and then it got very quiet.  When I went to see what our little man was doing, there he was contently sucking his thumb. 

At this point, Jack can only find his thumb when he's laying on his tummy or being held against someone's chest.  It's difficult when he's sitting up because he can't get that hand close enough to his mouth...I'm sure once he figures out where his hand is, that thumb will be in the mouth.  I love that Jack can soothe himself with his thumb and we don't always have to worry about putting a pacifier back in his mouth, but is he going to be one of those kids who is still sucking away on the first day of kindergarten?!  Am I going to be one of those mothers who asks the teacher to help her child stop sucking his thumb?  Will we be putting nail polish and pepper and gross stuff on his thumb to help him break the habit when he's eight years old?  I guess that only time will tell and right now I'm celebrating the fact that I have a two month old who is able to soothe himself with his cute little thumb.  Here's the cutest little thumb sucker in action!




Here's Jack on the day he was born, sucking away in the nursery.  He figured out how to soothe himself when he was only a few hours old...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment